Read about George Packing Company and our role in shaping the hazelnut industry.
- Chinese Diplomat’s Visit a Good Omen for Oregon Hazelnut GrowersBy MATEUSZ PERKOWSKI Capital Press China’s consul general in San Francisco, Wang Donghua, speaks to hazelnut growers on Feb. 25 in Salem, Ore., with Larry George, president of the George Packing Co., in the background. [photo: George Packing Co.] SALEM, Ore. — As U.S. crop sectors jostle for relief from… Read more »
- Hazelnuts Health Benefits: Why Hazelnuts are Good for Health and SkinOriginal post in PinkVilla.comBy Deblina Chatterjee Hazelnuts make for a great snack. But this dry fruit is a potential source for weight loss. Read on to know more. Hazelnuts are packed with Vitamin E, protein, dietary fiber, and healthy fats, which together contribute to our health, skin, and hair. This dry… Read more »
- Hazelnut Impacts from China Deal MurkyOriginal post in Capital PressBy MATEUSZ PERKOWSKI Hazelnuts are harvested in an orchard near Salem, Ore. The specific impacts of a trade deal between the U.S. and China remain unclear for Oregon’s hazelnut industry, though the outlook is positive. Mateusz Perkowski: Capital Press CORVALLIS, Ore. — While Oregon’s hazelnut industry… Read more »
- Tree Crops Could Be the Staple Food of the Future [listen]By ELSPETH HAY A man gathers giant “Bixby” or “McAllister” hican nuts from a truly massive tree – about at 100 ft. tall and wide – in Pennsylvania. (Credit: Max Paschall) Staple crops are the basis of our everyday diets, the foods we eat all year round that it’s hard to… Read more »
- New Jersey Researchers Making Strides In The Commercial Growth Of HazelnutsHead to the grocery store for hazelnuts and chances are you won’t find them. If you do, they’re probably from Turkey, but soon they could be “Jersey fresh” for the very first time. CBSN New York’s Vanessa Murdock reports. Original Post in CBS Local New York EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) —… Read more »
- Incorporate Oregon’s State Nut Into Your Holiday SpreadIt’s the 30th anniversary of the hazelnut as Oregon’s official state nut, and it makes the perfect addition to your holiday cheese board. KGW-TV‘s Tonight With Cassidy featured food blogger Fabi Donnelly of Not just baked to inspire us with a #hazelnut themed holiday cheese board.#KeepGrowingNorthwestHazelnuts Read more »
- Oregon Hazelnut Growers Look to Penetrate New Export MarketsOriginal post in Capital Press By MATEUSZ PERKOWSKI Capital Press Hazelnuts are swept into rows in preparation for harvest. The Oregon hazelnut industry is looking to expand export opportunities beyond its traditional market in Northeast China. Mateusz Perkowski/Capital Press File Oregon’s hazelnut industry is looking to expand beyond its traditional… Read more »
- As It Was: Filbert and Hazelnut, Two Names for the Same FruitOriginal post in Jefferson Public Radio By KERNAN TURNER The first commercial-sized planting of hazelnuts in Oregon occurred when George Dorris planted a five-acre orchard here in 1905. Click here to Listen …1:58 A Hudson’s Bay Company retiree, Sam Strictland, planted the first cultivated filbert tree in Oregon in 1857 in… Read more »
- A New Hazelnut Has Cracked its Competitive MarketplaceOriginal post in EurekAlert! by American Society for Horticultural Science Citation at Journal of Horticultural Science journals.ashs.org Also available at Phys.org Nuts, blanched kernels, and raw kernels of ‘Barcelona’ (left) and ‘PollyO’ (right) hazelnuts. (Credit: Shawn Mehlenbacher) Researchers from Oregon State University have completed an examination of, and have released, a new… Read more »
- What Are Hybrid Hazelnuts, and Why Are Chefs Obsessed with Them? [video]Original Post in Food & Wine By Sara Ventiera These buttery, super-sustainable nuts are showing up at the country’s best restaurants. The hazelnut pie at Jersey City’s Razza Pizza Artigianale is nothing short of a masterpiece. Housemade mozzarella, ricotta, and a drizzle of local honey bring out the natural sweetness of the roughly… Read more »
For media and press inquiries, please contact:
Director of Communications
and Public Relations
Want to get to know (and love) hazelnuts as much as we do?
Naomi Inman, Director of Public Relations and Communications at Northwest Hazelnut Company, enjoys her nutty job managing all hazelnut-related news and information. From health aspects to sustainability to product innovation and international trade, she can help direct your questions and inquiries. Naomi has a master’s degree in Journalism and Public Policy that informs her work, spreading the word about the unrivaled flavor of hazelnuts.